Sunday, July 10, 2011

Good Choice to Avoid Iceland

A couple of days ago I was arranging my trip to Quebec, Canada that is coming up in two weeks. I had two options, either use a Finnair flight or an Icelandair flight. The advantage of the Finnair flights was that I would get to use my normal airline, collect points and spend a little bit less time on the trip. The good thing with the Icelandair flight would have been that I would have been able to stay a day or two in Iceland, the tickets were a little bit cheaper and travel schedule more relaxed. My plan was to go check out the summer skiing possibilities on Myrdalsjókull, a glacier that sits on top of the Katla volcano. If you remember Eyjafjallajökull from last year, Katla is next to it but much bigger.

I ended up booking the Finnair flights, mostly because I had to no time for additional skiing.

That's a good thing.

In yesterday's news they were reporting major flooding in the area, and it is suspected that Katla is erupting.

The flood washed away a bridge and cut a major traffic route. According to Wikipedia, "Helicopter pilots flying over the glacier also reported cracks in the glacier, suggesting a large meltdown of the glacier on the south-eastern rim of the Katla crater".

Although... going there would have enabled me to enjoy two of my hobbies, skiing and volcano-watching... hmm...


Photo credits (c) 2010 by Jari Arkko and 2011 by the Living Geography blog

3 comments:

  1. Jari,

    Each state in india has a tourism department which can arrange logistics for custom itineraries including transport (cars, hotels,guides etc. they are usually quiet helpful and arrange for English speaking guides/drivers.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information, Shree. I'll use them the next time I'm here. Its always a bit hard to know beforehand what is the best organization to help you organize something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pessengers will have to know about the fee structure and the risk free period. Finnair Cancellation fee will be charged for domestic or international flights. If you are making cancellations within the given time then you are mot able to pay any fee bit if you are making after the time span you will have to pay $100 to $500. If you are cancelling your tickets within 24 hours of time then you will have to pay Cancellation fee of $100 to $400. To know more about the finnair service charges or other things then get attached to finnair.

    ReplyDelete